Freshwater

Independent

Lifeboat

Dangers of

Carbon Monoxide

WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. It is produced when a carbon-based fuel—such as gasoline, propane, charcoal, or oil—burns. Sources on your boat may include engines, gas generators, cooking ranges, space and water heaters.

CO can harm and

even kill you inside

or outside

your boat.

WHY IS IT SO DANGEROUS?

Carbon monoxide (CO) enters your bloodstream through the lungs, blocking the oxygen your body needs. Prolonged exposure to low concentrations or very quick exposure to high concentrations can kill you.

Early symptoms of CO poisoning include irritated eyes, headache, nausea, weakness, and dizziness. These symptoms are often confused with seasickness or intoxication, so those affected may not receive the medical attention they need.

CO can affect you

whether you’re

underway, moored,

or anchored.

HOW CAN YOU protect others and yourself?

CO can make you

sick in seconds.

Even a few breaths

can be fatal.

TRIP CHECKLIST FOR CARBON MONOXIDE

Enjoy our

Beautiful

Coastline

Responsibly!